Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Behind the Scenes - Seaglass Rings

Some of my most-complimented items at craft shows have been my seaglass rings. People seem very interested in the design and construction, so I thought I would share a behind-the-scenes look at how they are made.

First, I cut out silver strips from sterling sheet metal. These strips will eventually form the rings.



Next, I shape the rings on a mandrel to the appropriate sizes and punch a hole on each side. At this point, I also polish the silver to either a brushed or shiny finish.



Lastly, I find just the right piece of seaglass for each ring. This part can be tricky...the glass can't be too thick or too wide or the ring won't fit correctly. I use a length of sterling silver wire to sandwich the seaglass between the ends of the ring and finish each end with a spiral to hold it tight.



There you have it. Available now in various sizes and colors at lofteddesigns.com!

No comments: