Friday, September 4, 2009

Great Music = Great Inspiration

I have always found music to be an incredible source of inspiration. From the time I was five years old and got my very first cassette tape (Michael Jackson's Thriller), I can remember being moved to sing, dance and create.

Many years have gone by since that time, but my love of music hasn't changed. I find it pretty incredible that a song can have the power to completely change my mood.

Lately, I've been inspired by two artists in particular.

The first is Grizzly Bear, a Brooklyn-based band that is often described as "indie rock" although that genre name gets thrown around so often it has begun to lose its meaning. Their songs are grand, sweeping landscapes of sound with rhythmic layers and a dreamy feel. Their recent release Veckatimest has gained "repeat" status on my iPod, although I also love their earlier release Yellow House.


The second artist getting repeated plays in the loft is Devendra Banhart, whose music is described by most as freak folk or psych folk. I only recently began listening to Mr. Banhart, and I started with some earlier recordings...my favorite at the moment is Cripple Crow. I have no idea how to describe his music, but I think the man is a creative genius.


Lots of great jewelry is in the works, thanks to inspiring sounds!

No comments: